Saturday, May 11, 2013

Baking for a Cause

Last night I made cupcakes for a fundraiser for a local dog rescue that does truly wonderful work. The Valley Boxer & Mastiff Rescue was having a bake sale fundraiser at a pet food store in Ottawa to raise money for their shelter and this was something I knew I had to help out with.  I love my two boxers and I love baking, so really it was a no brainer.

Franklin

Dexter


The Valley Boxer & Mastiff Rescue is an amazing rescue that has taken in, rehabilitated, trained, loved and helped to find forever homes for many dogs over the years.  Feel free to check out their FB page to see all the great work they do.

In the end I made two types of cupcakes, Lemon and Strawberry Lemon.  Originally I was going to make lemon but it only made 18 cupcakes and I wanted to bring at least 24.  :(  So I made another batch and decided to add strawberry purée to the batter instead of the lemon zest used in the first batch.  They turned out great!  After I finished decorating the Lemon cupcakes the power started to flicker (due to the rain storm) so I decided to do a basic icing swirl and half a strawberry for the Strawberry Lemon cupcakes.  I really didn't want to be sitting in the dark trying to do detailed cupcake decorating by candlelight, that would not have been pretty.  Thankfully the power stayed on and all turned out well.

Lemon Flower Cupcakes


Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes
There were so many amazing baked goods at the fundraiser it was hard to choose which one to buy.   I let K decide and he choose some chocolate chip cookies which were delicious!  By the days end they had raised $650 for the rescue and they were going to do it again tomorrow!  Such a great way to help a great cause. 

No comments :

Post a Comment